Friday 30 September 2011

The Woman

In a Nutshell: A successful lawyer captures and tries to 'civilize' a feral woman, the last remaining member of a violent clan. Putting the lives of his entire family in jeopardy.



First of all, I started to watch 'The Woman' with my wife. She couldn't stomach it and she had to stop watching; It's dark and disturbing stuff, and I'd only recommend it to hardcore horror fans. I'm surprised to see a film this weird, shocking, and utterly insane come out of America! It's a ballsy film.

Directed by Lucky McKee (May) and written by controversial writer Jack Ketchum (The Girl Next Door), 'The Woman' is at times a quirky black comedy, and it switches to truly sinster and depraved in the blink of an eye. It's an odd tone, and it sets a pretty unsettling atmosphere. Pollyanna McIntosh (Offspring) is 'The Woman', a part she plays incredibly and with so much screen presence! I actually believed she was this feral beast that could rip me apart.

The father of the family, Lawyer Chris Cleek played by Sean Bridgers reminded me of a twisted and EVIL 'Will Ferrell', and the rest of the dysfunctional family are all played very well. My only minor complaint is that I found some of the music a little grating and I thought some of the sadistic stuff lingered a bit too long, but this is subjective.

NOW, when the violence comes in fully it hits you like a sledgehammer and it goes straight for the jugular! I think there's some intelligence behind it all though and it seems to be carrying a strong message, delivered in a rather brutal and thought-provoking way! Compared to most horror coming out of America it's really original too. If you're a fan of subversive horror, and if you can go in with an open-mind and you aren't easily offended, WATCH IT!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment